Breaking in a pipe or the "golden rules" of pipe smoking
There are various opinions about the correct use of the tobacco pipe. You will make your own experiences and will treat your darlings appropriately. At the beginning, however, it is useful to follow some
- Fill your pipe lose at the bottom and a little tighter at the top.
- Light your pipe with matches or a special pipe lighter with a horizontal flame. You should take care that the entire surface of the tobacco in the pipe bowl smoulders.
- Puff on your pipe calmly and regularly but only just enough that the fire will not go out. This way, the pipe stays cool and tastes better. - If the pipe goes out in between times, it is lit again. - If it gets hot (you can only hold the pipe bowl in you hand with difficulties) let the pipe cool off and light it up again later on.
- From time to time press slightly on the burning area of the tobacco with a pipe tamper. In doing so, you regulate the "hard draw" of which there should always be a little. The tobacco dies out more evenly and the pipe stays cool.
- If the pipe goes out more often at the end of the filling you should do without relighting the pipe and empty out the rest of the tobacco. This way, you take care of your tastebuds and your pipe.
- A smoked pipe which is still warm should not be refilled and smoked again immediately. Let your pipe dry out first, normally for several hours up to one day. (Therefore it is recommendable to have various pipes).
- Every time when you have smoked your pipe clean it with a pipe cleaner and place it, if possible, on a pipe stand so that it can dry out better. Besides: clean pipes taste better. The flue should always be free of residues.